The only Neo-Gothic railway station building in South Germany. Was constructed in 1868 following the extension of the Heidelberg-Sinsheim-Heilbronn line.
Now refurbished, it contains a restaurant /bistro. In front of the railway station is a bus stop for the local bus and car parking facilities. Start of the hiking trail "Neckarsteig" to Heidelberg and other hiking and bike paths. Guided tours of the town can start here.
Schwibbogengasse 5: 16th century half-timbered house with Hebrew inscription (1580). The former Jewish oratory was located here.
Nearby is the Nürnberger Türmchen, a small tower serving as a reminder of the help renderd by the Free Imperial City of Nürnberg after the Thirty Years` War.
The Staufen Imperial Palace Chapel (ca. 1200):
Dedicated to St. Nicholas with imperial gallery at the entrance from the palace hall. Converted in 1837 into a farmhouse with a barn and stables, the building was restored to its original state after 1908. Today it houses the Bad Wimpfen Municipal Museum of Ecclesiastical History with exhibits from the treasure vaults of the town`s monasteries and churches.
This is where the largest imperial hall was situated. The pilars, of varied design, are among the finest examples of Romanesque architecture.
Probably originally the women´s apartments in the Staufen palace, it is the largest Romanesque dwelling in Germany. Late Gothic stepped gable and seven-sectional window. On the first floor there are valuable medieval and Late Gothic mural paintings. The building now houses the Bad Wimpfen Municipal Museum of History (devoted mainly to prehistory, early history, the Staufen medieval period and the art of stonemasonry).
Obere Turmgasse 1:
An imposing 16th century half-timbered building with a Baroque bay window (1717). In 1983 the foundations of a huge third keep forming part of the Imperial Palace were uncovered in the garden.
The symbolic landmark of Bad Wimpfen. Built around 1200 as the keep on the west side of the Staufen Imperial Palace it was used until well into the nineteenth century as a watchtower, completing what was probably the oldest continuous tradition of tower wardens in Germany. From the top there is a magnificent view of the Old Town and the Neckar Valley.
A neoclassical building dating from 1839 and replacing a late medieval half-timbered structure with an external flight of steps. Former premises of the imperial town council and law-courts.
Residence of the representative of the Bishop of Worms. Romanesque north side dates form 13th century and the side facing the courtyard from the 16th. To the west is the Tithe Barn in which contributions of fruit were collected.
Evangelical municipal church:
Built between the 13th and 16th centuries as a parish church on the site of a previous church predating Staufer times. Highly decorative interior including late medieval triptych altar, mural paintings, Lutheran confessional and a 14th century pieta.
April to October
Fr, Sa & Su 10-12 hours, 14 - 17 hours
Crucifixion group by the Mainz sculptor Hans Backoffen (c. 1515):
Grave of a former mayor, Koberer.
Hauptstraße 69: Previously Gasthaus "Zur Krone" (16th century Frankonian half-timbered building). One of the town´s oldest inns.
Former civic hospital:
A stone building dating from the first half of the 13th century with 15th century Alemannic half-timbered annexes. Founded prior to 1230 by the Order of the Holy Ghost. Separation at the end of the 15th century into civic and a church hospital.
consisting of the hospital church in the Hauptstraße (converted into a dwelling-house in the 19th century) and the chapter-house in the Langgasse. Rebuilt in Baroque style during the first half of the 18th century.
In Langgasse 15 one can see the so-called Giant House, which shows the transition from Allemanic to Frankonian half-timbered structure
former Dominican church:
A Dominican monastery was founded in 1269 and a Gothic church, added after 1300, was subsequently rebuilt in 1713 in Baroque style. The monastery was dissolved following secularization in 1818. The church is an important place of pilgrimage (fragment of the Cross). In the interior: a frieze with the armorial bearing of various benefactors, gravestones of Engelhard von Weinsberg and Anna von Ehrenberg (15th century), a Late Gothic crucifixion group and an Ehrlich Organ. The monastery building and cloisters are now a grammar school.
Marktplatz 6: One of the oldest dwelling houses in Baden-Württemberg. It is basically a Roman structure from the second half of the 13th century.
in Bad Wimpfen in the valley:
The romanesque west wing of the present-day building dates from the 10th century and the Gothic nave and chancel from the 13th. High Gothic cloisters. Bendedictine monks lived here after 1947. Today the Maltese Cross organisation uses it for seminars, retreats and as a base for social work.
The Cornelia Church (Cornelienkirche) is situated at the eastern exit of the town in the valley in the middle of the cemetery bordering on the railway embankment. General Tilly is said to have planned his strategy here before the battle of Wimpfen in 1622; that is why this little church is also known as „Tilly’s Chapel“. It was built in 1476 and was called „Liebfrauenkirche“ („Church of Our Lady“).
The northern porch bears the inscription „1476 hie solt ir schaven, die gan zu Cornelia unser lieben frawen“ (here shall you look who go to our dear lady Cornelia) .This little church was completely derelict (like the cathedral) by the beginning of the 19th century, when it was about to be pulled down, but it was saved and renovated at the turn of the century. It has a simple rectangular layout and a simple structure. Only the north and west porches are decorated. The northern porch is a work of exceptional beauty. The entrance is separated by a pillar decorated once with a statue of Mary. The console and a canopy have been preserved. The arch shows a splendid relief of the Annunciation: to the right the archangel Gabriel, in the background the Trinity – God as an old man, the Holy Ghost as a dove, Baby Jesus with the cross descends on a fan of rays emanating from God’s chest. Inside the church there are some remarkable murals from the 15th century on the south wall. They were redone in 1918. The story of Genesis is depicted in 8 pictures. To the right St. Jodokus whom an angel relieves of the crown and hands a pilgrim’s staff to; to the left a holy family; above, a crucifixion scene. Then follows a strange picture: Christ with loincloth and thorny crown; from the stigma on his left foot grows a wheatsheaf: a strange and quite unique representation of the sacrament followed by another depiction of the Annunciation and of the Last Judgement.
On the way to Wimpfen im Tal we pass the former salt works Ludwigshall, which lie at the foot of the Old Hill. The town in the valley, which we are now entering, rests partly on the foundation of a Roman fort, whose size was 170 x 200 metres. The town wall in the south is on the original fort wall. The wall of “Vicus Wimpfen”, which was discovered in excavations, forms a kind of hexagon, measuring 760 metres at the widest by 330 metres at the narrowist, and of which Burkhardt von Hall tells us, that it was the most massive in this region, and was said to have been called Cornelia.
The remains of the town wall as we see them today are of medieval origin, at least as far as they are visible above the earth. The old weir is only just visible in a few places, especially on the town wall. The path, leading along the Neckar, is laid on washed up ground. A Gothic gate on the Neckar side, of which a pointed arch with the “Key of Peter” juts out of the earth, was the former entrance to the monastery from the Neckar. However, the main attraction of the town in the valley is the chapter church.